Saturday, September 13, 2008

Spring Lawn

It’s early spring and the weather is getting warmer. Not only have I started to come out of hibernation, but so have all of the plants in the garden. One of the first indications that the weather is warming up is the acceleration of the growth of the lawn.

My backyard tends to die off over winter as the sun passes lower in the sky and it fails to reach the grass for just about the entire cooler months. Now that we are only two weeks into spring I can already see the new tinge of green as it all begins to waken and start turning the yard into a lawn again.

Naturally that means it’s time to give the lawnmower a check to ensure that it is in good working condition. I wouldn’t want to have to get to the virtually overgrown lawn stage and find out that I have to buy a new lawnmower.

In order to promote the growth in my lawn, I don’t do a terrible lot save for getting out with the rake and the garden fork. First I give the thatch a good solid rake to remove all of last seasons die-off that had accumulated. Next I go over the entire lawn with the garden fork aerating the soil to give the new grass something to latch itself onto.

In next to no time the early evening is going to buzz to the tune of the neighbourhood lawnmowers trimming the lawn in the warm twilight hours.

No comments: